Friday, May 14, 2010

First Friday Art Night!

In Las Vegas the first friday of the month is art night. My best bud Laura and I have been going forever to this activity. We skip sometimes in the winter when it is too chilly and in the summer when it is a bit too warm. They open up all the art galleries in the downtown area from 6-10 pm with a shuttle. There is music and tons of people of all varieties. It is really my one girl night out of the month so I really look forward to it. Laura was the art teacher I shadows for my practicum and we've been best buds ever since. We are both turning 28 this year so we had fun complaining all evening about how old we are. I wanted to get a photo of us together but I forgot about it while we were putzing around. It is so funny to go because you have all these goth and emo high schoolers walking around trying to look all cool and artsy and you know they spend like an hour putting together their outfit just so it looks like they threw something on. Then you have all the gays and lesbians who flirt with each other. :P And all the wannabe artists who try so sell their crap to anybody. This time there weren't as many people because they were all at the San Ganero Italian festival. It made for a nice change because sometimes it is a pain trying to look at the art with everyone all crowding next to each other.

The bottom photo is of the train tracks that run through the area. We walk over those to get to the art galleries.
This time we started a new tradition. We went to Luv Its frozen custard after we got done and boy howdy was it good. If you are ever in the down town area it is the best custard in Las Vegas, it is off oaky and Las Vegas Blvd.

It is such a fun evening, but definitely not for the conservative person :)

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Nothing like a fun night out with just the girls. You take amazing pics too. I love the rail road one! You are so talented Melinda!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Stenderville!

Thanks for stopping by.
My name is Melinda and my husband's name is Warren. We reside in fabulous Las Vegas!
I am a stay at home mom and Warren works for the local Plasterer and Cement Mason Union.
We like to do all kinds of stuff and we like to keep in contact with all our family and friends, so we hope you enjoy our blog and please let us know what you think.

Love to all our family and friends and hope you have a great day!